Mastodon The Writing Desk: Hemingway Editor Reviewed #AuthorToolboxBlogHop #writing

18 July 2017

Hemingway Editor Reviewed #AuthorToolboxBlogHop #writing


I've been using the previous version 2.0 of the Hemingway app to improve the draft of my latest novel, before sending it to my editor, so was interested to see what's new in version 3.0.

Originally an online tool, it was written by writers for writers. The app highlights long, complex sentences and common errors; if you see a yellow sentence, you can shorten or split it. Phrases in green have been marked to show passive voice:


You can write directly into the app but I prefer to copy and paste a chapter at a time and see how my writing is improving. I also found the readability functions useful for spotting long sentences and words with better alternatives. Over the course of a full length novel I reduced the number of errors, so my editor can focus on content rather than style.

New Features

Version 3 adds a new feature of publishing directly to WordPress blogs, either as a draft or live post, from the Hemingway Editor. You can also now import and export HTML Microsoft Word and pdf files The new feature I'll be using most is to have more than one file open at the same time,

The Hemingway App doesn’t turn you into Earnest Hemingway overnight but has proved a useful tool which I recommend to all writers. You can use it online or download it from www.hemingwayapp.com.

Tony Riches

Do you have some great writing tips you would like to share?
Please feel free to comment


The #AuthorToolboxBlogHop is a monthly event on the topic of resources and learning for authors. Feel free to hop around to the various blogs and see what you learn! The rules and sign-up form are below the list of hop participants. All authors at all stages of their careers are welcome to join in.

7 comments:

  1. I spent so much time investigating this a couple of months ago, and couldn't find anything as succinct as this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Raimey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reviewing this app. I've wondered about it and just not taken the time to look into it. Maybe I'll revisit it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just might have to try this app out. Thanks for reviewing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of the app, but never used it. I like the idea of colour-coding. That sounds a lot more effective than just telling you what's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all new to me. Thanks for explaining about it.

    This is my first time here. I'll connect with you online and follow your blog.
    Victoria Marie Lees
    http://victoriamarielees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great app to use. Thanks for sharing your review :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting