Mastodon The Writing Desk: Haunted Week - Skeletons on My Bookshelf

26 October 2012

Haunted Week - Skeletons on My Bookshelf

{This Girl Reads}

Cheyenne's challenge today is everyone has a few skeletons in their closet - AND a few on their bookshelves, too,  so it's time to consider books you've owned for a long time but never read.

I moved house last summer after 25 years and found that nearly half of my boxes would be needed for books. It was time to take a really hard look at why I needed so many books. I sorted them into those I would never want to be parted from and the ones I would probably never read again.  Interestingly there were hardly any I'd never read, as I would happily read the back of the cornflakes packet if there was nothing else.

The hard bit was packing them all carefully into a box to take to my local charity shop. There is something strange about giving books away. Although it's good to think someone else will enjoy them - and they may make some money for a good cause, there is still a sense of loss and the concern that you may actually need them after all.

Of course, as soon as we moved to the new house we started missing some of the books I donated - but there is no spare space in our bookshelves already, so it was definitely necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting